1. Surround yourself with people who love and support you. The old saying "birds of a feather flock together" could not be more on point! Make sure you are surrounding yourself with people who inspire you and encourage you to reach your dreams. Don't be afraid to let go of relationships that bring you down or drain away your precious energy. Take note of how you feel after hanging out with someone. Do you feel energized? Excited? Drained? Depressed? All of those emotions are indicative of your internal compass, follow it well.
2. Spend time WITH yourself BY yourself. In this busy day and age it seems like no one makes time to sit in peace and quite anymore. Its important to put down all the electronics and allow yourself to realign. Take a bath, go for a run, paint a picture, meditate, whatever works for you. When we turn off the "noise of life" we can hear our inner voice come through. It is important to stay connected to your higher self and divine purpose.
3. Treat Yo' Self! Seriously. When was the last time you did something really nice just for you? My guess is its been too long. If not, good for you! Life is short and its important to make sure you are living it. We get so busy with work and relationships and responsibilities that we forget to enjoy ourselves. Even if its something as simple as taking yourself to the park, getting some treat coffee or seeing a movie solo, DO IT!
4. Cut people pleasing out of your life. When you start doing what YOU want to do a magical thing called happiness starts happening. It is too easy to fall into family and friend guilt traps, putting everyone else's needs in front of your own but it is not healthy. You have to take care of your needs before you can give to a single other person. People pleasing causes resentment and ill will in the long run so be honest and up front about what you do and don't want to do. Boundaries are a wonderful thing and your right as a grown ass person!
5. Find your tribe! Accept who you are and join a community. What makes you smile? Music? Dance? Art? Home Decor? Cooking? Tarot? Slam Poetry? Cross Dressing? Whatever your into, you can guarantee there is a tribe out there waiting for you that's into the same thing! Accepting yourself and being apart of a community of like minded people can really do wonders for the soul.
Spoken like a true Leo, I always say its okay to be selfish. Taking care of yourself first is not a crime. Women especially are expected to bend over backwards and put their dreams and desires on the back burner for others. I think it is important to fill up your own spiritual cup before you start pouring your energy into other people.
Like Rue Paul says "Honey, if you don't love yourself, how in the HELL you gonna love somebody else?"